Wednesday, June 5, 2013

An Arsonist's Guide to Writer's Homes in New England

Whew, what a mouthful of a title!  I'm about 6 years late to the party for Brock Clarke's novel (it came out in 2007), but, after plodding my way through it, don't really feel as though I missed out on much.
The story follows Sam Pulsifer, a somewhat clueless and hapless 30-something man who accidentally burnt down Emily Dickinson's house during his teenage years.  Oh, and there was a couple inside the house at the time who didn't make it out.  He's done his 10 years in prison, and the plot picks up about 10 years after his release, when he is the married father of two.  At this point, someone has started setting fire to other notable author's houses in New England, and all signs point to Sam.  This time, though, he has nothing to do with it.
Who's framing him?  Why didn't he tell his wife or children about his past, and why did he lie to them about his parents being dead?  What's going on with his alcoholic father and enabling mother?
For me, the biggest question of the novel is, "Why am I supposed to care?"  I had higher hopes for this book, which was compared to The World According to Garp and Catch-22 in a few reviews I checked out.  Perhaps if I'd read this at a different point in my life (maybe when I was in high school and neck-deep in my Chuck Palahniuk phase), I would have enjoyed Sam's story.  However, my interest waned after realizing that he doesn't take responsibility for any of his actions, and does absolutely nothing to help himself.  He's one of those guys who thinks things just keep happening to him without any provocation, when he really could stop the build-up of blame by being a grown-up.  I won't be picking up any of Clarke's other novels; this one totally turned me off.

2 comments:

  1. I commend you for staying with a book that doesn't grab you immediately (and maybe never!). I'm into "The Other Typist" by Suzanne Rindell. It's good but would not be number one on my hit parade. But reviewers' comments are so intriguing. Got to stick with it to the end. XXXXX -- GG'ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. DR WALE I want to appreciate you for all the good things you did for my family. My parents have been having issues settling themselves, but nothing seems to be working for them. they separated and that gave us the children's some much harder time. We want to see our both parents back together, so we had to contact DR WALE because DR WALE was the man that helped my sister to settle in her marriage when she had an issue with her husband. So, we contacted DR WALE to see if he can bring our parents together. When we reached out to him, He asked us how long our parents have been separated. We told him for SIX years. He said that isn't a problem. After everything was done. We discovered that it was our mother's best friend that did everything to see that our parents weren't together. But all thanks to DR WALE our parents are finally back together. We are united as one big family now. If your parents are divorce and you want them back together DR WALE is the best man to contact. You can contact DR WALE Via WhatsApp OR Viber: +2347054019402 OR Email: drwalespellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete