Tuesday, July 30, 2013

First Month at Home with August

Let's do this as a list; my mind is too mushy to form entire paragraphs!


1.  The first few days home with August, JP and I were a mess.  We were up at every coo, arm movement, and burp.  I know this is totally normal for first-time parents, and am really not worried at this point about spoiling him with too much holding or attentiveness.  That being said, our sleep cycles were pretty much nonexistent the first week.
Now, a month later, I feel more comfortable with the noises he makes; a little grunt at night probably just means he's adjusting or trying to pass a little gas, so no need to get up immediately.  We're lucky in that, so far, August just cries when he needs something from us or is getting a diaper change.  When he does get legitimately fussy...


2. ...JP and I are firm believers in Dr. Harvey Karp's 5 S's for calming a baby.  A friend gifted us The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD, which we studied before August got here, and it has been truly amazing to see in action.  We practiced swaddling on stuffed animals to prep, and can testify to its effectiveness!


3. We've kept track of his diapers, nursing times, and night feedings through the Baby Connect app on iTunes.  It's amazing, as my visiting family members will attest.  It syncs between my and JP's phone, so we're both updated on August's busy schedule of pooping and eating, and organizes everything into tables.  You can check it out above, and, if you're a parent-to-be, I highly recommend downloading this.  It's a lifesaver!

4. If you are a woman who is nursing/has nursed, or a man who has watched a woman breastfeed, you know that requires a lot of nourishment.  I've consumed a lot of food and liquids while feeding August, and have started a list of foods that have been dropped on him during our 'meals.'  This list includes: tempeh taco filling, a square of honeydew, lactation cookie crumbs, and drops of ice cream.


5. A tip for new parents: clear memory space on your phone or camera.  When that baby pops out, he will be the only thing you take pictures of for at least a month.


6. One of the most nerve-wracking things to do is bathe a little baby.  The first time JP and I did it, I was sweating at the end, even though it was over in less than 8 minutes.  August was so little (less than 6 lbs when he came home from the hospital!) and squirmy, and we were so afraid of getting water on his umbilical cord, in his ears, or him slipping out of our arms.  Now, a month later, he gets a bath pretty much every night, and we've got it down to a really manageable routine.  It's totally worth it for that 'clean baby' scent!


7. I love holding August.  Having that little head fall against my collarbone and nuzzle into my neck has to be one of the greatest joys imaginable.  I don't want him to outgrow it!
Equally sweet is seeing the people I love holding this little bundle of cuteness; he's definitely a cuddle bug!





4 comments:

  1. I love that app (or whatever it is) where you can keep track of everything August does! I did that with LD and he still has that little (paper) notebook that he jokes about every once in a while. He calls it "that BM chart"! But hey, that's what first-time mommies do. EVERYTHING about that baby is noteworthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad said the same thing- Baby Connect is just a high-tech BM chart!

      Delete
  2. He looks so tiny in your dad's arm!! I can't believe I have to wait another 6 weeks before I get to see him :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- he'll practically be a grown up by that time! Maybe he'll be smiling by the time you get here...

      Delete