Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Homemade Szechuan Noodles

Before dating JP, I rarely got cravings for Asian food.  I'm not crazy about Japanese cuisine, and Chinese was wayyy too salty for my tastes.  JP, however, introduced me to Thai, Indian, Korean fare, and my taste buds are forever grateful.  I love that the ingredients are pretty simple (noodles, veggies, protein), but the sauces keep things interesting: orange sauce, sesame sauce, soy...the list goes on.
When I saw this recipe for homemade szechuan noodles, I jumped on it.  Most of the ingredients of the sauce were already in my pantry, and it's packed with flavor.  Peanut butter, tahini, garlic, fresh ginger... they don't sound like the perfect mix, but try it before judging.  It packs a whollop!
Don't be afraid to add more veggies to the mix.  I actually sauteed the peppers a bit before adding them to the noodles, but would gladly add carrots and water chestnuts next time.  
A brief note about the gluten-free noodles- we tried brown rice noodles, but I'm not totally sold on them.  They're got super mushy after reheating, and were heavy.  I'd stick with whole grain or regular ol' white pasta in the future.

P.S. Happy 300th post!  Goodness, time flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment