Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Apple Baked Oatmeal Cakes

Just finished making these as a little breakfast treat, and they are deeelicious!  I've been eating lots of apples with peanut butter, and thought it might be a nice idea to actually cook with some of my bounty before the fall is officially over.  Every year I mean to hit up an apple orchard to load up on fresh apples, and every year is busier than I anticipate.  Maybe next year will be calmer?
Anyway, this recipe is a great snack on the go: hearty oatmeal, chunks of apple (I used Gala), slightly sweetened with brown sugar.  I'll do things a bit differently next time I bake these, though, namely in adjusting the cooking time.  At 350 degrees, the cakes took 55-60 minutes, which is nearly double the time suggested on the website.  I'll up the temperature by about 10 degrees next time, and cook for 40-50 minutes (I think opening the oven to check on them every 10 minutes after the 30 minute point didn't help the oven hold its heat).  Also, the batter is really runny, so I may through in some flaxseed or 1/3 c. whole wheat flour to help soak up some of the liquid for a heartier cake.


All in all, a great start for a recipe that I can't wait to try again!  What do you do when a recipe doesn't work out?  Toss it, or try to make it work for the next time?


No comments:

Post a Comment