Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Gone Girl


Holy.  Bananas.  This book is intense.
Several people have personally recommended Gillian Flynn's new novel to me, and I've seen it all over the web since it was released over the summer.  It tells the story of Amy and Nick Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary, aka the day Amy went missing.  There are signs of a violent struggle in their home, but Nick insists on his innocence.  Told between alternating narratives from both Nick and Amy, this novel will keep you on the edge of your seat.  Why would Amy have planned her annual anniversary treasure hunt if she was planning to leave?  Why won't Nick answer his cell phone in front of Amy's parents?  And just what is in the shed behind Nick's twin sister's house? 
That's it.  I honestly can't tell you anything else without ruining the twists and turns of Flynn's latest work, which are many.  Summer read it directly after me, and sent this text upon finishing the last page, "Gone Girl was good but a little disturbing."  At the end of the day, that's the most succinct review I've read yet.

2 comments:

  1. Funny, my mom just read this book and called the ending at the very beginning of it. She called me on the phone last week to let me know that she was right. I guess I won't be reading it now. :)
    -Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda got it about midway through too but really, really liked this book. Did you ever see the movie "Body Heat" with William Hurt and Kathleen Turner? This book reminded me of that thriller. And there's a time in the movie when her character says to him "You're not too smart, are you? I like that in a man." Amy might have had that thought too!!!

    ReplyDelete