Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Lactation Cookies


This recipe is gold in my kitchen.  I can't tell you how many of these chocolate chip cookies I've eaten since August came onto the scene; it's probably for the best that the number remain a mystery.  Let's just leave it that easily over 10 dozen have been made, and I'm the only lactating woman in the house.
However, I would like to state that, if you are not a nursing mama, these cookies will not have you leaking through your shirt.  Let's just get that out of the way.  The rumor is that brewer's yeast, oatmeal, and flaxseed are all great to increase a nursing mom's milk supply; the B12 in oatmeal is awesome, lots of omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed, and the yeast has lots of iron, protein, and other B vitamins.  The lactation consultant who leads my nursing group said that, while all of that is good, the biggest thing about lactation cookies is that they give moms the extra calories they may be missing.  Breastfeeding requires about 500 extra calories a day to maintain weight, so these cookies can help you out if you're under that.
Plus, they are totally delicious.  There are lots of recipes online if you google it, but this is my favorite.  I like to mix up the extras; this time, I added chocolate chips, shredded coconut, peanut butter chips, and pistachios.  Weird, but it totally works.  You can also try dried cranberries, almonds, I've even substituted granola for the oatmeal.  Make it your own!
And, if the whole brewer's yeast isn't for you, you can leave it out.  It adds a nice heartiness to the cookies, though, so give it a shot before automatically saying no.


Lactation Cookies (adapted from Mama Say What)
1 c. softened butter (can substitute coconut oil)
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
4 Tbsp. flaxseed
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 c. flour (can use whole wheat or all-purpose)
1tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 Tbsp. brewer's yeast
3 c. rolled oats (not instant)
1.5 c. mix-ins (chocolate chips, dried cranberries, nuts, peanut butter chips, coconut, etc.)

1. Beat butter and sugars in standing mixer until pale and fluffy.  Add in flaxseed, eggs, and vanilla; beat until combined.
2. Slowly beat in flour, baking soda, salt, brewer's yeast and oats.  Once combined, remove mixer from stand, and stir in mix-ins.
3. Use an ice cream scoop to drop batter onto baking sheet, and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes, until golden.  Cool for 5 minutes before devouring.


3 comments:

  1. Just brought a batch over to a friend who is a new mom. I did tell her husband that if we started eating these - he too could feed Tobie! They are yummy - so glad to find out about them. Best gift for a nursing mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for telling me afterwards! I started leaking before I made it back South Carolina. So enjoyed my visit! Thank you, JP, August & Mia for the hospitality.

    ReplyDelete