Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Bel Canto

Bel Canto is easily one of the most beautifully written novels I have ever read. Ann Patchett has imbued her characters with such heart and humanity, all while keeping the book well-paced and intriguing.
A lavish birthday party for a powerful Japanese businessman is being thrown at the vice president's house of a South American country, at which a world-renowned opera singer is also singing. At the tale end of the soprano's performance, a group of terrorists break into the house and take everyone hostage, inciting panic and anxiety inside and outside of the house. The hostage situation goes on for months, and the captives slowly develop their own rituals and relationships for the time spent together. The men left inside the vice president's mansion reflect on their marriages, great loves are discovered, and the beautiful sound of opera becomes a part of daily life. Their idyllic situation, however, is a dangerous and fragile one, and I should warn you that this book does not have a happy ending.
Although the book cover did not sell me on this, several recommendations from people whose opinion I respect convinced me to pick it up. Thank goodness I finally listened to reason; Ann Patchett is a phenomenal writer who can interweave the stories of several characters from a variety of backgrounds and cultures with great skill. The romances are gracefully portrayed, and the tenuous line between sympathy for the terrorists and desire for the hostages to be freed is constantly being crossed. You may find yourself longing to hear opera play as you read, or finish the book and feel grateful to go outside whenever you'd like. Bel Canto is spell-binding, and I promise that if you enjoy wonderful fiction, you will read it time and time again.

3 comments:

  1. Your mom lent me this book when I visited her and Brent last spring. It was really good and I can't help to compare it with the movie Crash which I watched while in AZ visiting Amber. The book and movie parallel in the way people unfairly judge each other through pre determined prejudices. Although in the end realize that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crash is such a great comparison to this book! Everyone is more than just a stereotype, although we frequently forget that. So glad you liked it, too, Aunt Nesi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book - and I thank Alisen Warner for sending it to me - thank you Alisen!

    ReplyDelete