Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bran Muffins



The problem I so often encounter is that I absolutely love to bake, but I also love to be healthy. That 'but' gets in the way- I can't bake and be nutritious simultaneously. Baking implies sugar, evil white flour and gasp! BUTTER. Healthy, on the other hand, conjures up images of bland iceberg lettuce and cardboard whole wheat breads.
Enter this genre-defying bran muffin. Both tasty and healthy (well, as much as a muffin can be), it's got bran, whole wheat, dried fruit and minimal eggs and sugar. My only beef is that I've never been able to squeeze more than 8 or 9 muffins out of this recipe. If you're making them for brunch, you may want to double the recipe.
They're exceptionally delicious fresh out of the oven with honey and a dab of butter.
Trust me.
I wouldn't lie to you.

Bran Muffins (My mom gave me this recipe; I have no idea where it's from!)
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 cup whole bran cereal
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1 slightly beaten egg white
1 c. skim milk
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. raisins
1/4 c. dried cranberries
3 Tbsp. canola oil

1. Spray muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray and preheat oven to 400.
2. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, bran cereal, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Make a well in the center.
3. In another mixing bowl, stir together egg white, milk, brown sugar, dried fruit, and oil. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
4. Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment