Monday, June 28, 2010

Visit to the city

As much as I love my city, DC is completely devoid of Summers and Shelton family members (at least for the time being; Summer, I'm talking to you!), meaning I spend time missing my wonderful relatives. It makes visits like the one this week from my mom so special; we get to catch up on everything and I love showing off the many sides of our capitol. Rather than having my usual outfit, book and recipe posts, this week I'm going to share some pictures of what Mommi and I did during her trip. Don't fear, the regular posts will return soon!

Mia got to really bond with her Grandma Heinie. (She really is like our baby girl!) Mom brought up some treats and a new toy for her, so she was a happy dog!

We drank tasty, tasty drinks at our almost-nightly cocktail hours. This one was a Salty Dog, grapefruit juice and vodka, with a salt-lined rim. Sooo delicious, and such wonderful company! On another tangent, everyone I introduced Mommi to remarked how alike we look, and this picture really does nothing to disprove that theory.
We only cooked vegetarian food, mostly because it's so easy and we didn't have a ton of time to be putting big meals together. Here John Paul and I are making a melon salad and minted pea soup; they are sooo easy, and perfect for summer so I'll post those recipes soon!Mommi and I trekked out in the unbelievable heat to see Michelle Obama's gorgeous gown for the inaugural balls. Those are her Jimmy Choos on the lower right corner, size 10ish! She really does have impeccable style. The First Ladies exhibit at the Smithsonian Museum of American History is a don't-miss.
There are some new pieces in the modern art wing of the National Gallery of Art, so I did a little posing. It doesn't hurt that it was in the high 90s outside, and the NGA is air conditioned!

Tomorrow I'll put some pictures up of the ALA convention. Not to brag, but we saw Toni Morrison, Salman Rushdie, Will Shortz (editor of the NYT crossword puzzle), and Tony Diterlizzi (Spiderwick Chronicles illustrator). I love being a librarian!

No comments:

Post a Comment