Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tomato Cobbler

Yum.  No other word seems as appropriate for this dish.  JP and I whipped it up before he left for a 2-night business trip to Minneapolis.  No, Saint Paul.  Are they actually joined, like Siamese twin cities?  Perhaps there's a reason they're called that. 

Anyway, I wanted to send him on a plane filled with a hearty dinner that would satisfy him from security check-in to hotel check-in (at 1am!).  Although the process of browning onions always seems to take longer than I remember, bringing this dish together was a relatively simple process.  JP was even sadder to leave than usual, knowing I would get the leftovers of this dinner all to myself.

Joy the Baker's recipe for cherry tomatoes, caramelized onions, and biscuits is simply divine for this late summer season.  Tomatoes are ripe and delicious, practically bursting at the seams with juiciness, so make this quick! 

I did make a few adjustments to the original recipe.  First of all, I subbed frozen corn for blue cheese, which I have never enjoyed.  We also used 2 pints heirloom cherry tomatoes, 1 pint regular cherry tomatoes, and all butter (no vegetable shortening- my pantry is coming up short lately).  It was seriously delicious.  Don't scrimp on the amount of onions, and be sure to use fresh basil; your whole house will smell, well, yummy.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, yum, yum - Brent and I will love this and we will use blue cheese (Maytag) for the biscuits. Can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete