Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pumpkin Seven Layer Magic Bars

Yowza, these bars are good!  Picture this: a crumbly graham cracker crust layered with basically a pumpkin pie filling, a firm bite of Granny Smith apples, and topped with chocolate chips, butterscotch pieces, almonds, and a sprinkling of coconut.
It's like a piece of autumn just fell into your mouth.

I found this recipe on Bakers Royale, and had to make them immediately.  Some friends came over for a movie night last weekend, and I served these up to counteract the bitterness left in our mouths after Arbitrage.  Nothing to cure cynicism like sweetened condensed milk.

Of course, I tweaked things a bit: decreased the coconut, added butterscotch, used more almonds than suggested.  I just always think of the topping of a bar cookie as a recommendation, not something that's actually been written in stone.  Don't mess with the proportions of eggs, flour, etc., but everything else is fair game.  My heart wanted butterscotch in these bars.
I certainly can't deny my heart's desires, can I?
Enjoy these with good company, and I do think they would be an excellent addition to a Thanksgiving dessert bar.  You hear that, Dad?  I may be serving these up down in Florida...

No comments:

Post a Comment