Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Single Serving Chocolate Lava Cake

Ladies, THIS IS IT.  Do you have a single girl night in coming up?  Feel like eating an indulgent dessert but don't want a gazillion leftovers?  Like cake batter, but warmed up and more fancy?  This is your dessert.
JP was out of town this weekend, and I had Saturday night all to myself.  Gossip Girl was already to go on my Netflix, comfy elastic-waist pants were on, and I just needed something warm in my belly.  As is my recent routine, I rifled through my Joy The Baker Cookbook, and landed on this recipe.  It's got 6 ingredients, which I already had in my fridge and pantry, and gave me an excuse to use our wedding 8-ounce ramekins (the things you register for during wedding planning...).

It's your typical chocolate molten center cake: dark and rich, with a cake shell encasing an oozing fudge center.  Double the recipe for a dessert for two, quadruple it for a small dinner party, but there's no shame in doling out the single-serving for you.  I'm sure you deserve it. 

Single Girl Melty Chocolate Cake (from Joy the Baker Cookbook, Joy Wilson, 2012)
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 large egg
4 tsp. sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. all-purpose flour

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and place cookie sheet in oven as it heats up.  Generously flour and butter an 8-oz. (1 cup) ramekin.
2. Place butter and chocolate into a microwave-safe container (I used my glass measuring cup) and heat in microwave until both are melted, maybe 40 seconds.  Set aside to cool.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and sugar.  Pour chocolate mixture into bowl and whisk until well incorporated.  Add salt and flour and mix until just combined.
4. Pour batter into prepped ramekin and place in oven on top of cookie sheet.  Bake 7-10 minutes; the less time it's in the oven, the more oozy the middle will be.  (The top should be set, though, so you can turn it out onto a plate!)
5. Remove from oven and cool for 2 minutes.  Using pot holders, invert cake onto plate and devour.


7 comments:

  1. I did a google search for single serve chocolate lava cake and yours came up. So I whipped it up and it was soooo tasty! I think I need to bake a bit longer next time to get more cake but the taste was right on! Satisfied this chick's chocolate craving! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was amazing. I doubled it for 2 and put marshmallows on top. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very delicious--mine wasn't quite as pretty as yours, but tasty just the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made for a friend who is sick....

    Turned out fabulous.

    thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was delicious! I had to cook it a little longer as well. Perfect cheat day dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just pulled this out of the oven after 10 minutes and it's pure liquid.... I've read the recipe six times over and I followed every detail...

    ReplyDelete
  7. In your cookbook, you recommend 2 tsp flour. Which is best?

    ReplyDelete