Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wookie Cookies!

After a long day of working, then taking your dog out, jogging, calling family to catch up and eating dinner, it helps to unwind with a delicious, hot-from-the-oven cookie. The best are homemade, and my recent favorites are called Wookie Cookies.
You may not know this, but my wonderful, handsome, funny boyfriend is a nerd to the nth degree. I love this part of him, and encourage it (when I'm not teasing him for loving Battlestar Galactica so intensely) with gifts like The Star Wars Cookbook. Not only is it the funnest collection of recipes I've seen in a long time (Boba Fett-ucine and Yoda Soda), but everything was developed for children to cook, making it easy. John Paul gets to be a Star Wars fan, and I get to bake; it's a win-win.
Now, I have a confession to make. In my haste to make these in time for a post, I added an extra 1/2 c. of white sugar. It made the cookies sweeter (though not as much as I had anticipated), and much flatter, so don't judge the cookies based on the pictures I took. Generally, these are chewy and delicious, with just a hint of spice. Break out the milk!

Wookie Cookies (adapted from The Star Wars Cookbook, 1998 by Robin Davis)
2 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice if you're out, like I was)
1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. chocolate chip

1. Preheat oven to 375. Butter baking sheets and set aside.
2. Put the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl. Combine and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars using a hand mixer on high. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Gradually, add flour mixture to butter mixture until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Scoop out rounded tablespoons and drop onto baking sheet. Repeat until sheet is full, and pop into the oven for 10-15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven once browned, and place on wire racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment