Friday, December 3, 2010

The Pumple

I wish you could have seen my face when my mom and Haley explained their excellent idea for Thanksgiving dessert.  You would have seen confusion mixed with huge amounts of doubt, as well as a headshake.  Or two.
Let me back up.  My Uncle Rob and Aunt Nesi were in charge of turducken.  If you are like anyone in my office (who now thinks my family and I are completely nuts), you probably don't know what that is.  Simply put, it's a deboned chicken stuffed into a deboned duck stuffed into a turkey.  A TURkey-DUCK-chicKEN.
Taking that into account, Haley and my mom thought they should make a cherpumple.  What the what?!  A cherpumple is a cherry pie baked into a spice cake, pumpkin pie baked into a chocolate cake, and an apple pie baked into a vanilla cake (pies and cakes can be switched up as desired).  All of these are stacked on top of each other and frosted with a cream cheese frosting.  Please see their inspiration on youtube.
After some heated discussion, they were talked down to a pumple, excluding the cherry layer. 
I got to Florida on Wednesday evening, and we didn't start on the pumple until about 8:30.  Because you're baking a pie inside of a cake, the cooking times were essentially doubled.  The apple layer took about 40 minutes, and the pumpkin layer took a full hour.  During the pumple baking, we baked a pumpkin spice cake, in case people didn't want the pumple.  I was the most skeptical of all.  At 12:30A, we finally collapsed into bed.
On Thanksgiving day, my mom cut into the pumple and it looked...pretty.  The pies seemed to smile at us from inside their respective cakes.  The apple layer was delicious, and the chocolate layer was a bit rich, but edible.  I was astounded.
But won't be making it again.  Too much trouble to explain the name.

4 comments:

  1. It was a cooking adventure! And I am glad I could share it with you!

    Mommi

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a good time was had by all!
    aunt nesi

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly was an adventure!

    ReplyDelete