Monday, December 6, 2010

Spiced Pumpkin Cake

So you know that my mom, sister and I were in charge of desserts for the Thanksgiving dinner held at Andrea's new house (so cute!), and they were aching for the pumple.  I was desiring something hearty and not overly-sweet, and this dessert from November's issue of Real Simple was calling my name. 

As much as I enjoy pumpkin taste, I'm not wild about pumpkin pie; sometimes it's just too silky and rich. Baked goods, like pumpkin muffins and cakes, are much more up my alley. Add in my love for Bundt pans (they always look impressive and pretty!), as well as a thick lemon glaze, and I was done for.

 
 This cake turned out beautifully: dense, perfectly spiced and a beautiful, deep orange color. Be sure to grease your pan within an inch of its life, and use some flour, too. You'd hate for half your cake to stick to the pan! Also, be sure to let it cool completely before even attempting to slide it out of the pan.  All of those are hard-learned tips, I promise.
This could also work as a brunch offering, with some berries scattered on top. Or dress it up with a chocolate glaze, instead of lemon. Go nuts!


No comments:

Post a Comment