Wednesday, March 9, 2011

30 for 30 Confessions

This is my first time doing the 30 for 30 Challenge, although I believe it's the third time Kendi has posted it.  After wearing the same 30 items of clothing (including shoes!) for 30 days, a few things became incredibly clear about my style, and wardrobe in general.

Low maintenance clothes are best.
When choosing items, I found myself gravitating towards pieces that don't have to be ironed or dry cleaned.  It's not just a matter of spending the money on dry cleaning, but the time it takes to iron a button-down top or linen pants.  
Accessories are king.
I love my accessories.  Scarfs, statement necklaces, tights, and belts helped differentiate all of my outfits.  I'd like to beef up this part of my closet before buying new tops and bottoms.
I have a lot of clothes for a very practical reason. 
The reason being, I don't want to have to do laundry a bazillion times a week.  My biggest issue with the challenge was that I had to laundry two times a week, instead of my usual once, in order to ensure that I have clean clothes for both work and play.  By having a couple of weeks of clothing available, instead of one, I'm saving myself some time on weekdays.  
Don't do the 30 for 30 challenge in the winter.
Seriously.  I did not pick the right items for days that included 70 degree afternoons and 20-degree date nights.  Too much fluctuation for February in DC!
Style evolves.
Anyone who knew me in high school will tell you that I was an eclectic dresser.  And I probably still am (I get "quirky" a lot in my family!).  After looking over the outfits I felt most comfortable and me in, I realize that I'm gravitating toward more classic silhouettes, less prints, and using jewelry and color to imbibe an outfit with personality.  
In the end, it's great to be forced to take a picture of yourself in every outfit you wear for a month; I (kind of) enjoyed seeing what works for my body and what doesn't, what colors and pieces I wore more often.  I did throw open my closet and hug my poor unworn dresses on March 3, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment