Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Lentil-Walnut Burgers

I've never been a die-hard beef burger girl.  Sure, I'd eat them, but there was very little savoring going on.  When I became old enough to shop and cook for myself, it was more so about turkey burgers and toppings (guacamole, a thick slice of tomato, raw red onion, sauteed mushrooms, caramelized sweet onion, a great coarse Dijon mustard...you get the drift).  I just didn't find the beef itself satisfying, but more greasy and messy than anything else (I really don't like to get my hands super-gross while eating.  JP and I have now moved onto cloth napkins because the situation with paper napkins was getting ridiculous). 
These "burgers," made with no meat, are incredibly flavorful, and almost don't require a ton of toppings.  A slightly spicy, Mediterranean aroma will fill your kitchen, and the patties have a texture of thicker, grilled hummus.  It sounds weird, but it's absolutely delightful, and a great substitute for the traditional beef burger. 
Lentils are a great source of iron and protein, and walnuts have a ton of manganese, which helps with nervous system function and enzyme production.  There's one egg in here for binding, and a lot of great spices to help speed up metabolism. 
JP and I bypassed the yogurt sauce and pita for guacamole, mustard, tomato, spinach, and red onion on whole wheat buns.  Paired with blistered sweet potatoes, we were in foodie heaven last week!
Also, these burgers are dense.  Not bad, but certainly plan on one patty per person; leftovers are delicious reheated!

No comments:

Post a Comment