Monday, January 24, 2011

Lime Yogurt Cake with Berry Sauce

Last Tuesday marked the 5-year anniversary of me and John Paul as a couple!  January is always a hard time to celebrate with desserts; we're inevitably trying to eat less junk because we splurged in December, and (forgive me for what I'm about to say) chocolate is becoming less and less appetizing.  When I saw this cake on Smitten Kitchen, I knew it was the perfect compromise.
You see, there's no butter in this cake.  Yes, there is a bit of vegetable oil, but most of the moisture comes from yogurt.  I used full-fat Greek yogurt, which is more tart than traditional recipes, and can be used as a substitute for sour cream in other meals.  The sauce that's paired with the cake uses a minimal amount of sugar, allowing the sweetness to come from the berries.
This cake actually survived four days with us, and the sauce was used on top of the leftover yogurt, and drizzled on top of toast with peanut butter.  It was completely lovely; I think you should make it today!
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Although I am not a big fan of yogurt I do prefer citrussy desserts over choclate. I'll have to try it at my next dinner party.
    aunt nesi

    PS> I have started to read "Stiltsville" and whereas it does not have a deep or complicated plot it is fun to read about all the familiar places in Miami and South Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll like this; it's not yogurty, just incredibly moist.
    Can't wait to hear your final verdict on stiltsville!

    ReplyDelete