Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Turkey and Bean Chili

Okay, back to the regular ol' blog.
While I was at home in PC, Haley and I invited all of the local family over for dinner and dessert.  It's lovely to entertain, and we both figured it would be a great way to see everyone in one fell swoop.  The question, then, became, "What do we feed 11 people that won't break the bank and is moderately healthy?"  With the slightly chilly weather outside, we both decided on a completely delicious turkey and bean chili from Everyday Food.  (Their cookbooks are just wonderful!)  The turkey keeps the calories low, while there's some bacon added (just a few pieces) to keep it meaty.
Oh, and there's unsweetened chocolate.  Um, yes please.  I'm telling you, this gives the chili some unexpected depth.
Haley made a corn spoonbread, and we set out avocados, grated cheddar cheese and sour cream for toppings.  Everyone was pretty happy!
 
 
Papa approved of our dinner choice, even going back for seconds of the spoonbread!
I made the chili while wearing this adorable, thoughtful, personalized apron from Aunt Nesi and Uncle Rob.  Thank you so much for the incredibly sweet gift; I've already worn it a bunch in DC!  I've got some great family.

4 comments:

  1. I'm inspired!!! Turkey Chili is going on my menu when I plan a "soup week" sometime this winter. I'll have to keep the beans separate because Paul just will not eat them -- he does not know how much he's missing with that very "picky" palate of his!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's just silly. Doesn't he know how good beans are for you? Soup week sounds like it should be a national holiday; should we petition for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this recipe this week and it was GREAT! I 1/3 the recipe and I still had enough for lunch and another dinner. Brent loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed it! The recipe really does easily feed 11-13 people; it's best to cut down if you're not hosting a small army.

    ReplyDelete