Monday, January 10, 2011

Tuna and Hummus Sandwiches

Are you ready for an incredibly easy, super tasty meal?  Yes, I say meal because anything with "sandwich" in the title can count, although others may see this as more of a tapa or appetizer than main course.  My dad and Karen got me Ina Garten's lastest cookbook, How easy is that?, for Christmas, and this is the first recipe I tried out of it.
Oh my!  It's simple (no cooking involved) in technique, but the flavors are salty, tangy and rich.  Using tuna in olive oil keeps the fish moist, while the hummus adds smoothness to the chunky tuna salad.  I used a very thick ciabatta loaf cut in half and sliced, to add some crunchy crust to the pot.  A couple of ingredients were left out of the final product (Seriously, celery?  You're a useless vegetable.), but I don't think it detracted from the taste at all.  This could be great served with a green salad for a light lunch...or a Thursday night dinner, if you're feeling a bit lazier than usual.

Tuna and Hummus Sandwiches (adapted from How Easy is That? by Ina Garten, 2010)
14 oz. jarred or canned tuna in olive oil
2 Tbsp. minced cornichons
2 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp. good mayonnaise (I made my own, because the storebought stuff always looks a bit iffy to me)
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Crusty bread, sliced thickly and toasted
Hummus (we used a white bean hummus)

1. Drain oil from tuna, reserving the oil.  Place tuna in a mixing bowl and flake with a fork.  Add cornichons, lemon juice, Mayo, 2 Tbsp. of reserved oil, mustard, salt and pepper; mix well.  Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to allow flavors to mellow.
2. Spread each slice of toast with a layer of hummus.  Top with a generous portion of tuna mixture, top with a cornichon and serve immediately.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy and will try it for one of our lunches. Although, I disagree with you about the celery - it adds crunch and is a good veggie to eat for people with high blood pressure.
    aunt nesi

    ReplyDelete