Thursday, June 9, 2011

Poppy Seed Cake with Strawberries

Man, I have been in a cake mood lately!  A couple weekends ago I made a wonderful, light strawberry cake (will post soon) for a graduation party.  It was so good, I only got one sliver!  To make up for the loss, I made this Memorial Day cake for John Paul and I (don't worry, we shared...a bit).  I saw it on Not Without Salt a few days ago, and it spoke to me.
This cake is perfect for summer.  The mascarpone frosting is lighter than cream cheese, and there's not quite so much sugar.  The poppy seed cakes are mildly nutty, with an excellent slight crunch to it.  Top it off with some strawberries for a bit of extra sweetness...seriously, you can't go wrong.  The strawberries I bought were a bit big; I should have cut them into eighths so the layers weren't so far apart.  Even so, tastiest Memorial Day cake I've ever made! 
P.S. This frosting is super delicious with just strawberries dipped into it...perhaps a quick dessert?

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Will have to try it - I love strawberries.

    ReplyDelete