Thursday, March 7, 2013

Beef Braciole (Haley's Way)

I have been seeing Beef Braciole (pronounced: "brah-zhol") in quite a few specialty grocery stores down here, and finally just asked someone in the butcher section what the heck it was.  Turns out, it's a thin slice of beef wrapped around some type of stuffing, typically pan fried and served in its own pan sauce.  But never fear!  My version requires grilling the braciole, rather than pan -frying it, so there will be no pan sauce for this recipe.  Finally.

Now, these specialty stores had slices of beef labelled "beef braciole", but if you can't find this at your grocery store, you could just find a piece of top round or a flank steak, and have it sliced very very thin (less than 1/4 of an inch).  For the stuffing, I just made actual bread stuffing, then split it in three, and added different mix-ins for each slice of braciole (I used three slices of braciole.)  

First, make one cup of stuffing per roll of braciole, just as the instructions tell you to.  If you're making three separate rolls with three separate fillings, divide the stuffing into different parts to add your mix-ins.  To one I added Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, to one I added red bell pepper, and to the other I added bacon.  

Lay out a slice of braciole, and pile your stuffing in a line down the center.  This is the one I made with peppers added.  Now it's a little tricky; bring the long sides together, and pin to each other with toothpicks, like so...



(It helps if you can get your dog to supervise.)

Once everything is rolled up, throw them on the grill!  We cooked them for about 3 minutes, then turned them (as much as the pesky toothpicks would allow), and cooked for about another 5.  Once you think they are cooked, remove them from the grill, and allow them to rest for about 10 minutes.  This keeps the juices from smushing out when you cut them into pinwheels.  

These were delicious!!  We had Matt's family over for dinner, and they loved loved loved them, and I can't wait to make them again!  I may stick with just Parmesan and basil, as it was easiest, and super-tasty!  

1 comment:

  1. Those look delicious. Good job keeping them from falling apart on the grill. That's always a problem for me any time I try to roll meat around some kind of stuffing.

    ReplyDelete