Thursday, March 14, 2013

Healthy(er) Breakfast Muffins

I know all of you will agree with me when I say, "That Martha really knows what she's doing".  I mean, she really, really knows.  I got this recipe from her website, and have made them three times in the past two weeks, and one of those batches was a double batch.  The original recipe makes about a dozen muffins, which is just not enough.  

You can find the recipe here, but the way I made it doubled the recipe, and I made some substitutions (as I always do).  Ready?

Here is something you may not know about me: I don't grate.  I got my thumb once, and that was the end of that for the rest of my life.  So, you can, of course, grate up eight carrots and mash two ripe bananas; you could also just run the lot through the food processor with a grater attachment.  

Whisk all of the dry ingredients together.  I didn't have nutmeg, so I used cinnamon, and I only used half the required amount of brown sugar.  My bananas were prettyyyy ripe, so I didn't need that added sweetness.

Now add in the carrots, bananas, oatmeal, eggs, milk, and oil.  I substituted coconut oil for olive oil, and soy milk for real milk, but that's your call.  Oh, and I used dried cranberries rather than raisins. (The first time I made these were for Mommi and Brent, and Mommi does not eat raisins.  I think the cranberries give a good kick to the otherwise sweet muffins.)  Scoop by 1/4 cups into greased muffin tins, and cook at 400 degrees for about 23 minutes.

Hello, Beautifuls.  

I eat these on the way to work in the mornings (because I have a job now), and they keep me good and full until its time for lunch.  I also may have eaten one or two for dessert, but that's neither here nor there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment