Thursday, September 16, 2010

Banana Rum Layer Cake

A couple weekends ago John Paul and I were invited to a lovely rooftop barbecue, and a friend informed me that the couple throwing the shindig is very gourmet.  With that tidbit, I knew that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and Oreos were out of the question.  I broke out the big guns: two banana-rum layers with ganache covering everything.  Not only did we not bring home any leftovers, but I'm still getting compliments on it!  If there is an event and you need to impress, break this out.


Banana Rum Layer Cake (from Nick Malgieri's The Modern Baker, 2008)
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
2/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 large eggs
1 c. mashed bananas (about 2 large bananas)
2/3 c. milk
1 Tbsp. dark rum
1 1/3 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 c. corn syrup
1 lb. semisweet chocolate
4 Tbsp. butter, very soft

1. Set rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and mix well in a small mixing bowl.
3. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter, sugars and vanilla until lightened in color and texture. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. In a separate bowl, stir bananas, milk and rum until well-blended.
5. With the electric mixer set to low, alternately add flour and banana mixtures until everything is incorporated. Increase speed to medium and beat the batter continuously for 3 minutes.
6. Divide batter equally between 2 round, well-greased cake pans. Bake until layers are well risen and deep golden, 25-30 minutes.
7. Cool layers in pans for 5 minutes, then turn onto racks to finish cooling.
8. While the cakes are baking and cooling, combine cream and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When heated through, add chocolate chips and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in butter until incorporated and shiny. Cool in fridge for 1/2 hour.
9. Place a dab of ganache onto a cake plate. Put one layer over it, and pour enough ganache just to cover the top. Place the other layer on top, and cover top and sides with ganache. Put cake in fridge to set the frosting, then serve!


 
 

3 comments:

  1. Can you please posting such yummy foods on your blog - I cannot keep up with trying them all!!!! But they are SO good whenever I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge choclate fan but you can make this cake for my birthday anytime. The fried goat cheese salad recipe I'm making for Haley tonight is from the Bible, I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm listening to the book "Run" by Ann Patchett (author of Bel Canto). I'm about half way through with it and am really enjoying all of it's twists, try it when you have a chance.
    aunt nesi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love Ann Patchett; will have to keep this book in mind when I'm finally done with my stack of library books!

    ReplyDelete