Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mockingjay

Squeal!!!
Remember a couple of weeks ago when I recommended The Hunger Games?  It's a trilogy by Suzanne Collins about a young girl's fight against a totalitarian government.  Mockingjay is the last book of the trilogy, and I am incredibly torn about what to reveal.
Here are the things you can know whether you've read the book or not:
1. Katniss Everdeen is the heroine of the Hunger Games for two years in a row.
2. The Capitol puts on the Hunger Games each year, in which two young citizens from each of the 12 districts are pitted against each other in a fight to the death.  Finally the citizens get sick of it and rebel, choosing Katniss as their spokesperson.  This is a role that Katniss isn't sure she wants.
3. Katniss isn't sure who she should spend her life with: Gale, her lifelong friend from the 12th District, or Peeta, her fellow Hunger Games player.
4. The entire trilogy deals with themes of familial loyalty, how to think in morally ambiguous situations, and the effects of war.
This book has the same quick pacing of the first two, but focuses even more so on Katniss' role as rallying point for the rebels and her decision to go against authoritative figures.  The third book ties up the loose ends, although not in the happiest or most positive way.  Collins has written a fabulously enthralling science fiction, and I was so sad to close the pages on these great books.

4 comments:

  1. I was wearing my dove necklace at the library yesterday, and some kid was like, "I like your necklace....is it a mockingjay??" I said, "Someone's got Collins fever..."

    Because a Mockingjay's not a real thing, right??
    (love, haley)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so sad to read the last of this trilogy - reading Mockingjay slowly to savor it. You know I love a book with a strong female character and Katniss is definitely that.

    Haley Poo - a mockingjay is a combination of a Mockingbird and a Jabberjay. The Jabberjay is a muttation created by the Capitol, and it was used to listen in on the rebel conversations, and then repeat them for the Capitol in the Dark Days. (answers.com)

    Happy Reading - Mommi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mommi is a librarian for a reason. She knows all the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's about time that Aunt Nesi got mentioned in your blog! First of all, speaking of meat, I am making Feta & Pesto (of course homemade with my home grown basil) stuffed pork roast for Haley tonight. I amd experimenting to determine if I want to take this dish with me to Gainesville next weekend. It is my friend Betty's birthday and I told her I would bring dinner. Secondly, Wyatt lent me the first two books of the Hunger Games and I loved them. I am going to buy "Mockingjay" to read and send to Wyatt to complete his trilogy. Last but not least, I have been cleaning out Summer's room and found a bunch of pictures she had collected. There are some really cute ones of you guys. I am going to show them to Haley tonight and send them to Summer. Remind her to show them to you.
    Love and miss you
    aunt nesi

    ReplyDelete