Wednesday, August 25, 2010

24

23 was a pretty great year, and gave me ample opportunities to explore myself and grow more into the person I want to be.  I experienced my first big snow storm (look at that smile above; for a Florida girl, making snow angels is a blissful thing!), graduated from my Masters program, and traveled further south than Key West.  I'm really looking forward to 24, though, and figuring out my first grown-up job, moving into an apartment with amazing views of Georgetown, and traversing the terrain of being a twentysomething!
Currently, I'm working through a 770 page tome on military-created vampires (so looking forward to sharing it with you!), so will leave you with a list of some great books I read while 23.  There's so much wonderful literature out there!
The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
Chick lit without all the cheesy romance, this book narrates the lives of three women in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960s as they combat racism in their own ways.
Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
This book about a teenage girl's struggle to stay alive during a competition of life and death will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end.  Part one in a trilogy.
Graceling, by Kristin Cashore
A young adult novel about a girl with unnatural powers who goes on the run with the prince of her kingdom.  It's fantasy with a foot in reality and a strong heroine who isn't afraid to speak her mind.
The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak
A heartbreaking account a one family who hides a Jew during the Holocaust in Germany.  Keep a box of tissues handy.
Animal Farm, by George Orwell
I know, I know, pretty much everyone has read this political satire about a farm taken over by animals who aim for equality, but end up with something much more akin to communism gone wrong.  If you're one of the few who haven't, it's definitely worth your time.
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
The true story of a black woman whose cancer cells became a medical phenomenon, although her family did not find out about it until 50 years later.  A fascinating account of racial inequities in the medical field.

5 comments:

  1. happy birthday, lady! excited to see you again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girls! It was a lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read four of these books - I'd better get cracking on the other two! Your recommendations are always good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am currently reading "Catching Fire". I finished "Ireland" while I was in TN so borrowed the "Hunger Games" from Wyatt. I also read "The Help" - that was an awesome book. Nothing like I thought it would be. I was remiss in calling to tell you Happy Birthday but I hope you got our card. I think I will try the choclate cake you have submitted but will say "NO THANKS" to the olive knots. Perhaps I will try them with a different filling.
    aunt nesi

    ReplyDelete