Monday, August 30, 2010

Grandma's Orange Yogurt

 When it comes time for a trip to North Carolina to visit Grandma and Paul, my heart skips a beat and my stomach automatically gets larger.  We always eat very well, from Smithfield's barbecue pork sandwiches to Grandma's zucchini quiche to Paul's crab cakes.  I also love watching Grandma in the kitchen; she's so at ease, using her hands to mix if necessary and not getting too fussy about her recipes.  It doesn't hurt that her kitchen is the cutest I've laid eyes on, with red accents and lots of black and white.
As of late, my favorite thing Grandma in North Carolina has made is her orange yogurt.  Now, the recipe itself is from Ina Garten, so we'll give some credit where it's due.  However, without Grandma, I never would have made this; it's not my typical carb- or chocolate-laden treat, so how could I possibly enjoy it?  Thankfully, there are people around me who know me better than myself, and force delicious food on me when necessary.
This yogurt recipe is easy, and perfectly refreshing.  The tang of the yogurt is replaced with a subtle sweetness from honey, a rich aroma from the vanilla, and the orange takes citrus to a whole new level.  It's almost akin to an orange creamsicle, with the added interest of dried fruit and walnuts.  It's great as a light snack, as a meal with some fruit and toast, or even part of a dessert tray, along with dark chocolate on the side.

Grandma's Orange Yogurt (from Ina Garten)
2 pints plain yogurt
1/4 c. dried cranberries (can use raisins instead)
1/4 c. chopped walnuts (can substitute almonds or pecans)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. honey
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 c. to 1 c. orange juice

1. Line a sieve with 2 paper towels and suspend over a bowl. Pour yogurt into sieve and drain between 3-8 hours.
2. Place thickened yogurt into medium bowl and add cranberries, nuts, vanilla, honey and orange zest. Thin with juice to desired consistency. Top with additional nuts, orange slices or zest and serve!



1 comment:

  1. What a nice treat to see "Grandma and Paul" pop up on your blog this morning!!! So glad you're enjoying this super recipe -- adapted (with the cranberries!) just for you!! Love you. G'ma in NC

    ReplyDelete