Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Almond-Garlic Pasta

When it's warm outside, I generally find myself looking for pasta salad recipes that can eaten chilled for a couple of days.  Not only does it cut down on the amount of cooking to do, as leftovers are a given, but they're incredibly refreshing.
This particular recipe is stellar.  The delicate almonds add a slight crunch and nuttiness to the garlic and sweet peas, and mint infuses the dish with a subtle lightness.  If you want to add more veggies for a fuller vitamin intake, I think blanched asparagus and green beans would be perfect! 


Almond-Garlic Pasta (adapted from Epicurious)
3/4 c. blanched almonds
3 cloves garlic, smashed
3/4 c. water
1 lb. whole wheat rotini or other tubular pasta
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
1 bag frozen peas
1/2 c. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus extra for serving
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/3 c. fresh mint leaves, torn
1/3 c. roasted, chopped almonds

1. Purée blanched almonds and garlic with water and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until smooth.
2. Cook pasta according to package until al dente. Reserve 3 c. cooking water and drain.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil and 1 Tbsp. butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until foam subsides. Add almond puree and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 3ish minutes. Add 2 1/2 c. reserved cooking water, pinch of salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Whisk in remaining butter until melted, then add pasta and peas and cook 2-3 minutes. Add cheese and lemon juice, stirring until well combined. Remove from heat and stir in half mint, then salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve pasta in bowls topped with chopped almonds, remaining mint, and additional cheese.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe you got Haley to grate the cheese - she is so fearful of the grater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should fess up: that was a posed shot. Daddy had to step up to the plate about two seconds after that picture was done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Abbi--I said, "What can I do to help?" and she handed me the grater. The one thing I don't do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll chalk it up to traumatic past experience. You were excellent at keeping me company and looking cute, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could tell it was posed - I know my daughters!

    ReplyDelete