Thursday, September 23, 2010

Steak and Onion Sandwiches

Every time I post a vegetarian recipe, I can hear my Aunt Nesi in the background saying, "I'm a carnivore, Abbi, where's my meat?!"  And she's right; there's nothing wrong with indulging in a little steak every once in a while.  If I'm going to have some red meat, though, I like to do it with lots of carbs...you know, to balance out the protein.  Add a little caramelized onion, a couple slices of cheese, and I'm in nirvana.  Obviously, top this sandwich with whatever makes your skirt fly up: mustard, homemade mayonnaise, tartar sauce...

Steak and Onion Sandwich (courtesy of John Paul, cook extraordinaire)
For 2 people:
2 onions, sliced into strips
4-5 shakes of Worcestershire sauce, to taste
1 ribeye steak, sliced thin
2 ciabatta rolls
Salt and pepper
1. Toss onions into olive oil and soften in a large sautee pan over medium heat, about 15 mintues.
2. Remove onions from pan, and cook steak until opaque, in batches if necessary. Remove to a plate until ready to assemble.
3. Without cleaning pan, put onions back in and turn heat up to medium-high. With a wooden spoon, scrape off burnt parts of the steak in order to "preserve the essence of the meat" (JP's words, not mine!) and add Worcestershire.
4. Toast rolls.
5. Pile a ton of onions onto rolls, top with steak and your choice of toppings. Eat with your hands, like a caveman would!


 

2 comments:

  1. Brent and I made Italian beef sandwiches (a big deal in Chicago I hear) this week and they were yummy. Onions, green peppers, thinly sliced Italian Beef (from Stan) and giardiniera for some heat and of course fresh bakery bread to eat it on.

    http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/italian_beef.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds sooo good! Sandwiches can be incredibly satisfying, and way easier than other dishes, for dinner.

    ReplyDelete