Monday, September 20, 2010

Summer Corn Soup

There is a picture of me as a wee Abbi, in which I have fallen asleep in my high-chair right into a plate of corn.  Clearly, I have long adored the sweet taste of summer corn.
My wonderful mom, knowing this tidbit, suggested I try this easy soup recipe.  It's got lots of quinoa, so the protein is covered, sweet corn, basil, and is topped with some tangy feta cheese.  This is an absolutely delicious meal, especially when sopped up with some freshly baked bread.  Because I did not read the recipe through before making the soup, there is no zucchini in my version, and I used frozen corn in order to save a bit of time.
Thanks Mom for turning me on to this delicious soup!!

Summer Corn Soup with Quinoa (from Delicious Living Magazine)
3 c. frozen corn
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 ounces minced fresh basil
1 ounce crumbled feta cheese

1. In a deep pot, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until softened.
2. Add broth; bring to a boil. Add quinoa; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.
3. Add fresh basil and corn. Simmer 8-10 minutes. Serve hot with feta cheese sprinkled on top.


 
 

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, if I wasn't allergic to corn I would totally be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendi for turning me onto this recipe. We have have it just about every week this summer - yum! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridget, you could probably make this with summer squash, too. It's really easy!

    ReplyDelete