Thursday, September 9, 2010

Welsh Scones

 If I find myself in a coffee shop in need of a snack, I generally grab a scone.  They're crumbly and a little dry, so pair perfectly with tea or coffee.  It's just never occurred to me to actually try my hand at making scones; I thought they would be complicated and take an incredibly long time or something.
Thanks to Nick Malgieri, whose book is really changing the way I look at baking, I gained the confidence to make scones in my own kitchen.  Seriously, they couldn't be easier, and take a total of 30 minutes to bake.  Scones are great served with butter and jam along with tea or coffee.  John Paul and I had them with blackberry jam and fruit salad; yum!

Welsh Scones (adapted from Nick Maglieri's The Modern Baker, 2008)
2 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1 large egg
1/2 c. milk
1. Set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 450.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt in a food processor fitted with metal blade and pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture is mealy, but dry and powdery.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk.
4. Empty processor into a medium bowl and use a fork to combine the egg mixture with the flour mixture, until flour mixture is evenly moistened.
5. Gently knead dough 4-5 times, until it is smooth. Divide dough in half and press each half into a 6-inch disk. Place both disks onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
6. Use a knife to score each disk into 8 wedges, not cutting all the way through. Bake until they are golden and firm, about 15-17 minutes.
7. Slide disks onto a platter and break apart. Enjoy!


 

4 comments:

  1. Wait wait wait. I KNOW that butter comes into play somewhere in the instructions--am I just missing it??
    It's funny that you put this recipe up, because I've been contemplating making ham and cheese scones this weekend!! Love youuuu!! (love, haley)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been amended!! Thanks for keeping an eye out, Face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scones, my favorite being Currant Scones from The American Gourmet (where I worked a milliion years ago). I have never tried to make them but this recipe sounds pretty simple even for one who does not like to bake. I'm having Haley over for dinner on Thursday night. I'm going to Fried Goat Cheese Salad and Tarragon Chicken. I think it sounds like a great light dinner to have after our cocktail dog walk. Yes, it's still summer down south and hot as "Haiti". (I thought I would use my rated G language for your blog site.)
    aunt nesi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Nesi, they're soo easy and I think you'll love them! Your fried goat cheese salad sounds phenomenal; where did you find it?
    Give my Haley Face a big hug and kiss from me!
    xo

    ReplyDelete