Thursday, February 28, 2013

Turkey Rice Bowl



This dish came about one night when I had made stuffed peppers for dinner.  I mixed the mixing, stuffed the peppers, put little toothpicks into them so they wouldn't fall over on the baking sheet I was using...Finally, I got them plated and ready for dinner, and everything tipped over and fell out.  I was left with two plates, each with two halved, empty peppers, and a pile of the filling.  And I had one of those moments where I just said, "This is not a hassle that I want to deal with," and told Matt that I was never making stuffed peppers again.  Over-reacting?  Possibly.  

But then I came up with this delight!  We have this, or a variation of this, once a week.  I'll fill you in on the variations as we go:

First, sautee minced garlic and sliced shallots in olive oil until softened.  While those are cooking, put on a pot of yellow rice.  You can obviously use white rice, or brown, or wild, but I love love love how colorful this dish is with the yellow rice, so I stick to it.

Add some diced green peppers.  You could, of course, do ANY kind of pepper, or add shredded carrots (which sweetens it up a bit), or grated potatoes, or zucchini.  All have been done at my house, and all of them are delicious!

Once the peppers (or whatever) have softened a bit, remove the mixture from the pan into a bowl.  Now, brown ground turkey breast (or ground turkey, if you're not too worried about being healthy) in the same pan.  Once it is all cooked, add 1 small can of original Rotel and some Sriracha if you'd like.  Mix this all up, and cook over medium-high heat to reduce the tomato juice, for about 5 minutes. (On a side note, Rotel is one of my favorite things to keep stocked in the kitchen.  You can use it for EVERYTHING, and it lets you add a little heat without you actually having to handle hot peppers, which always freaks me out a little).  

Add the green pepper mix back into the pan, and mix it all up!

Serve the meat mixture over the yellow rice, and garnish with sun-dried tomatoes, if you'd like.  We had this with jalapeno focaccia bread, and I could not have been much happier than I was eating this meal.  Let me know if you try it!   

2 comments:

  1. Looks delish -- especially with the yellow rice. That should be a MUST when you make this. Sooooo colorful!!! And thanks for the tip about the Rotel. It's going on my Thursday shopping list even as we speak. XXXXX -- G'ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma, I'm glad you're getting Rotel! I added it to (homemade) chicken soup tonight, and suddenly it was Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup! It really makes everything better :)

    ReplyDelete