Creamy Chicken with Biscuits (from March 2011 Real Simple)
4 carrots, cut into 1-in. lengths
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Salt and pepper
1/2 c. dry white wine
1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
6 biscuits, store-bought or drop
1 c. frozen peas
1/2 c. heavy cream
1. In a 4-6 quart crock pot, toss together the carrots, celery, onion and flour. Place chicken on top and season with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Add wine and broth.
2. Cover and cook until chicken and veggies are tender, about 2 1/2 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.
3. Ten minutes before serving, add peas, cream and 1/2 tsp. salt to chicken mixture. Cover and cook until heather through, 5-10 minutes more.
4. Serve spooned over split biscuits,
2 c. flour
1/2 c. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. whole milk
1. Heat oven to 400. In a food processor (or with your hands if you don't mind getting messy), combine the flour, butter, baking powder and salt; pulse until pea-sized clumps form. Add milk and pulse until just moistened.
2. Drop 6 larges mounds of dough onto baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 18-20 minutes.