Thursday, February 10, 2011

Steel Cut Oatmeal Tip

No recipe today, but a great tip from friend and fellow blogger Bibliomomia: you can make steel cut oatmeal in your crock pot!!  One morning I was complaining that I love steel cut, but hate the 30-45 minute cooking time, and Amy filled me in on this amazing timesaver.  I love having crafty, food-loving people surrounding me!
It's true.  I tried it out, and had enough oatmeal for the next three days; just put it in a tupperware and heat it up in the microwave as the week progressed.
The process:
Pour 2 c. oatmeal and 8 c. water into your crockpot at 11pm.  Turn on low and let cook for 8 hours.  At 7, open your crockpot and scoop out a portion for breakfast!  It's that easy. (Do I sound like an infomercial yet?)
I will admit to one caveat: during the cooking, some of the oatmeal will get a little crusty on the sides touching the pot.  It's not a huge deal, and soaking it in warm soapy water after storing the oatmeal in your containers will be sufficient to get it out.  Don't say I didn't warn you, though!
How do you like your oatmeal?  I put a bit of milk, some brown sugar, chopped almonds and dried fruit in mine.  It's perfect for these chilly DC mornings! 

3 comments:

  1. When I read that sentence "How do you like your oatmeal?", I had to send this line of one of my favorite oldie songs: "How do you like your eggs in the morning? I like mine with a kiss!" Bet that's how you like your oatmeal too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all my food with a kiss! It's the best side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have oatmeal most every morning with....flax seed, oat bran, cherry craisins, sliced almonds and almond milk. Yum- Yum!

    ReplyDelete